Bepress provides cutting-edge, Web-based solutions for the academic and scholarly community. We offer a number of services, including the world's leading hosted institutional repository—Digital Commons®. Our products are licensed by institutions around the world, including Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Oxford, the World Bank, and the IMF.
We are a successful, fast-growing Berkeley-based company with about 60 employees. We value a friendly, collaborative environment where technical and non-technical colleagues work together to create great software, serve our customers, and create the future of academic publishing and scholarly communications solutions. Read more about the bepress mission and story.
Associate Consultant, bepress Consulting Services
We are looking for an associate consultant to support the students, faculty and scholars who we serve with our online solutions.
- Collaborating with university faculty and librarians to launch new projects in their repositories, guide them in best practices, and troubleshoot unusual problems
- Training clients over phone and email to help them use and customize our templated systems
- Liaising with all teams at bepress to provide your clients with comprehensive, well-informed support for all their repository needs
- Providing general assistance to the bepress team as needed. This may include, but is not limited to, filing feature requests, product testing, HTML editing, and providing feedback to help streamline or expand our services as our growing business requires.
Required qualities and capabilities
- Bachelor's degree
- High attention to detail
- Basic HTML
- Excellent communication and presentation skills—primarily for phone and email interactions/trainings
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and independently
- Deep familiarity with MSOffice programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel) and the Internet
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to contribute beyond a narrow job description
- Humor and patience
Preferred qualities and capabilities
- 1-3 years' experience with similar responsibilities
- Basic CSS and XML
- Familiarity with converting MS Word documents to PDFs
- Familiarity with academic publishing, library sciences, and university culture are big pluses
- Start date ASAP
This is a full-time position with great benefits and a busy but casual atmosphere. If you have the above, we want to meet you right away. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter and resume to , c/o Jonathan Cadle.
Sr Software Engineer - Python
We're looking to add great team members - we use Django on the back-end and modern front-end frameworks including Angular. We're building the next generation of our SelectedWorks product, so the fun thing is that we are creating a whole new platform and client and expanding the functionality of one of our main properties. We work in the academic space, helping faculty and other authors connect with their peers and community to share ideas and research.
This post on our website will give you a pretty good overview of the product that we’re in the process of redefining: http://works.bepress.com/features.html
Skills & Requirements
If this seems like a fit to you, we'd love to talk!
About bepress, Inc.
Bepress was built by scholars to serve the needs of scholars. In the late 1990's, academic journals were plagued by slow turnaround times, limited access, and unreasonable prices. Publishers wanted to maximize profits, while editors wanted to maximize readership and share ideas. In 1999, UC Berkeley Professors Robert Cooter, Aaron Edlin, and Ben Hermalin banded together to launch a sustainable alternative: Berkeley Electronic Press, now simply called bepress. Over the years, the core mission has remained unchanged: to provide effective publishing and research dissemination services that keep control in the hands of scholars and libraries. All of these things we do come from who we are. We are a small and dedicated company with diverse employees, too many advanced degrees, and a shared love of academia. Our supportive work environment translates into creative thinking, good listening skills, and personalized customer service.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Rick Doty at
Marketing and Outreach Coordinator
The marketing and outreach coordinator will assist in scheduling, managing and coordinating marketing campaigns under the supervision of the VP of Sales and Marketing Manager.
This entry-level position has great potential for growth and advancement for the right candidate and is an excellent opportunity to develop marketing/project management skills in a fun, creative, and casual atmosphere. We are a small but growing library software company located in the heart of Berkeley, California.
Skills and Requirements
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with proven project-management skills who will not feel shy about pushing to get projects through the pipeline.
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills
- Must be highly organized with strong interpersonal skills and self motivation
- Must demonstrate the ability to complete multiple tasks while consistently meeting deadlines, effectively and efficiently
- Must be detail oriented
- Must be game for any task and able to adapt to change
- Must be able to contribute marketing ideas and strategy to the team
- Salesforce experience a serious plus
- Work with marketing manager to identify and target key sectors in our market
- Develop email messaging highlighting customer successes
- Compile mailing lists and strategically map them to Salesforce
- Manage campaign processes and workflows, including kick-off meetings and postmortem analyses
- Research and keep a record of competitive products, identify market trends, and provide related support and insight to sales team
- Actively participate in the creation of new campaigns, marketing programs, content, and messaging
- Provide support on additional marketing projects as needed, such as surveys, papers, and presentations
Please send your cover letter and resume to Kathleen Cowan at
Sr. Software Engineer
We're looking to add great engineers to our team. We are currently building a new platform for our SaaS offerings using Python/Django but we’re still investing heavily in our Perl based platform. We work in the academic space, helping faculty and other authors connect with their peers and community to share ideas and research.
We need somebody focused for now on our existing platform but willing and able to make the switch to the new at a moment’s notice.
Skills & Requirements
- Strong knowledge of Perl
- Experience with an object-oriented language
- Experience with Python/Django a plus
- Experience with agile development
- Experience with Postgres
- Experience with the LAMP stack
- Proficiency working in UNIX/Linux environments
- Strong communication skills
Let us know what you’ve done. Show us some code. Email .
Lead Systems/DevOps Engineer
We are looking to add an engineer to our small team working on a platform supporting the free exchange of academic research.
We are looking for somebody who is experienced at web application development but who can also help keep our products scalable and reliable. This is the perfect job for a software engineer who started their career in systems. Or vice-versa. In this role you’ll work with both software engineers and systems administrators to:
- Extend our platform’s capabilities to serve the evolving needs of researches are scholars. This means coding. We want a programmer who knows how to build applications.
- Contribute to architectural level design decisions
- Design the system infrastructure needed to maintain our success
- Solve system issues around performance, scaling, and reliability.
- Drive improvements in systems engineering and release/deployment technology
- Mentor and collaborate with other team members
Skills & Desired Experience
Best candidates will have some hands-on experience with:
- Applications programming skills (Perl, Python)
- Managing webservers (nginx, Apache, starman, lighttpd)
- Industry standard protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, LDAP, Kerberos, SNMP, etc)
- Linux/Unix system administration skills (Debian)
- Supporting/maintaining/designing back-end infrastructure for large scale SaaS applications
- Configuration management (Puppet)
- AWS deployment
- Database administration (Postgres)
- NoSQL data stores and caching (Redis,MongoDB, Memcached)
- Performance monitoring and tuning
- Systems monitoring (Nagios, Cacti, Statsd, Pingdom)
Please send a cover letter and resume to .