Bepress provides cutting-edge, Web-based solutions for the academic and scholarly community. We offer a number of services, including the world's leading hosted institutional repository—Digital Commons®. Our products are licensed by institutions around the world, including Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Oxford, the World Bank, and the IMF.
We are a successful, fast-growing Berkeley-based company with about 60 employees. We value a friendly, collaborative environment where technical and non-technical colleagues work together to create great software, serve our customers, and create the future of academic publishing and scholarly communications solutions. Read more about the bepress mission and story.
Associate Consultant, bepress Consulting Services
We are looking for an associate consultant to support the students, faculty and scholars who we serve with our online solutions.
- Collaborating with university faculty and librarians to launch new projects in their repositories, guide them in best practices, and troubleshoot unusual problems
- Training clients over phone and email to help them use and customize our templated systems
- Liaising with all teams at bepress to provide your clients with comprehensive, well-informed support for all their repository needs
- Providing general assistance to the bepress team as needed. This may include, but is not limited to, filing feature requests, product testing, HTML editing, and providing feedback to help streamline or expand our services as our growing business requires.
Required qualities and capabilities
- Bachelor's degree
- High attention to detail
- Basic HTML
- Excellent communication and presentation skills—primarily for phone and email interactions/trainings
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and independently
- Deep familiarity with MSOffice programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel) and the Internet
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to contribute beyond a narrow job description
- Humor and patience
Preferred qualities and capabilities
- 1-3 years' experience with similar responsibilities
- Basic CSS and XML
- Familiarity with converting MS Word documents to PDFs
- Familiarity with academic publishing, library sciences, and university culture are big pluses
- Start date ASAP
This is a full-time position with great benefits and a busy but casual atmosphere. If you have the above, we want to meet you right away. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter and resume to , c/o Jonathan Cadle.
Linux Systems Administrator
We have a great opportunity in our Technical Operations team for an innovative DevOps engineer who is crazy about site reliability and performance of large-scale online services.
You will apply your awesomeness to maintaining and growing the bepress infrastructure to best support our growing network of subscribers. You¹ll work both independently and collaboratively as the complexity of the project demands while holding yourself and the team to the highest of standards. This is a senior-level position in our bike and BART friendly downtown Berkeley office (with occasional response to our Oakland data center).
This position requires you to take the lead in maintaining the overall uptime and performance of our service. You will be responsible for the whole show – deployment architecture, performance analysis, capacity planning, monitoring and troubleshooting and, most importantly, communications. To be successful in this role you must have a strong sense of personal responsibility and excellent communication skills. We are a drama free zone.
bepress has SaaS offerings that the academic community uses to showcase and share their work. Our Digital Commons product is the leading Institutional Repository and our growth is strong. Additionally, we have a feel-good mission of helping to promote the open access movement that is changing the world of scholarly exchange.
Your responsibilities include
- Working with our engineers to design, build, and maintain systems
- Quickly solving problems small and large, even after traditional work hours
- Building out the internal documentation of our systems and processes
- Proactively analyzing system-wide performance metrics in support of capacity planning
- Maintaining an appropriate level of monitoring of the system
- Expand our thinking and knowledge about our infrastructure
- Communications with all stakeholders about system planning and system events
You should know
- TCP/IP protocols
- Perl and/or Python (or some programming experience)
- SVN and/or Git
- Postgresql (pgpool, pgbouncer)
- Cacti and Nagios
Special points for
Please send your cover letter and resume to , ATTN: Robert Allen