Bepress provides cutting-edge, Web-based solutions for the academic and scholarly community. We offer a number of services, including the world's leading hosted institutional repository—Digital Commons®. Our products are licensed by institutions around the world, including Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Oxford, the World Bank, and the IMF.
We are a successful, fast-growing Berkeley-based company with about 60 employees. We value a friendly, collaborative environment where technical and non-technical colleagues work together to create great software, serve our customers, and create the future of academic publishing and scholarly communications solutions. Read more about the bepress mission and story.
We are looking to add a systems engineer to our small team working on a platform supporting the free exchange of academic research. In this role you’ll work with both software engineers and systems administrators to design the system infrastructure needed to maintain our success. You’ll also help solve system issues around performance, scaling, and reliability. Additionally you’ll lead the charge in making improvements to our release and deployment technology.
Skills and Requirements
- Managing webservers (nginx, Apache, starman, lighttpd)
- Industry standard protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, LDAP, Kerberos, SNMP, etc.)
- Linux/Unix systems administration skills (Debian)
- Supporting/maintaining/designing back-end infrastructure for large scale SaaS applications
- Configuration management
- AWS deployment
- Database administration (Postgres)
- NoSQL data stores and caching (Redis, MongoDB, Memcached)
- Performance monitoring and tuning
- Systems monitoring (Nagios, Cacti, Statsd, Pingdom)
Our mission is to provide effective publishing and research dissemination services that keep control in the hands of scholars and libraries. All of the things we do come from who we are. We are a small and dedicated company with diverse employees, too many advanced degrees, and a shared love of academia. Our supportive work environment translates into creative thinking, good listening skills, and personalized customer service.
Please send your cover letter and resume to
Associate Consultant, bepress Consulting Services
We are looking for an associate consultant to support the students, faculty and scholars who we serve with our online solutions.
- Collaborating with university faculty and librarians to launch new projects in their repositories, guide them in best practices, and troubleshoot unusual problems
- Training clients over phone and email to help them use and customize our templated systems
- Liaising with all teams at bepress to provide your clients with comprehensive, well-informed support for all their repository needs
- Providing general assistance to the bepress team as needed. This may include, but is not limited to, filing feature requests, product testing, HTML editing, and providing feedback to help streamline or expand our services as our growing business requires.
Required qualities and capabilities
- Bachelor's degree
- High attention to detail
- Basic HTML
- Excellent communication and presentation skills—primarily for phone and email interactions/trainings
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and independently
- Deep familiarity with MSOffice programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel) and the Internet
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to contribute beyond a narrow job description
- Humor and patience
Preferred qualities and capabilities
- 1-3 years' experience with similar responsibilities
- Basic CSS and XML
- Familiarity with converting MS Word documents to PDFs
- Familiarity with academic publishing, library sciences, and university culture are big pluses
- Start date ASAP
This is a full-time position with great benefits and a busy but casual atmosphere. If you have the above, we want to meet you right away. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter and resume to , c/o Jonathan Cadle.