Digital Commons administrators and editors with the “Create Administrators” permission can add other administrators or editors, and tailor their permissions to fit different responsibilities. The ability to manage administrators is available at both the site and publication level. Administrators can choose from the permissions that they have themselves when assigning permissions to others.
Add Administrators or Editors
To add an administrator or editor, navigate to the Configuration tab for the repository or the specific publication where the person should have access. If you have the “Create Administrators” permission, you will see an Administrators link in the left-hand sidebar, or an Editors link if working in a journal.
- Click the Administrators link in the Configuration sidebar. In journals, click the Editors link.
- In the Add Administrators section of the Administrator Management screen, enter the first name, last name, and email address of the new administrator. In journals, this will appear as an Add Editors section on the Editor Management screen.
- Click Add. An on-screen confirmation message will appear when the administrator is added, and the administrator’s name will appear in the Modify Administrators table (or Modify Editors within a journal).
Site administrators get a default set of permissions when they are added. In publications such as journals or series, no default set is assigned so you can choose the permissions appropriate to your workflow. The available permissions are described below.
Assign a Default Site Contact for the repository
On the site-level Administrator Management screen, an Edit Default Contacts section appears for adding a default site contact. Enter an email address, or multiple email addresses separated by commas, for site administrators who should receive notifications for publications without administrators.
Modify Administrator or Editor Permissions
The Modify Administrators table on the Administrator Management screen lists current administrators for the repository or, at the publication level, for the specific publication you’re viewing. In journals, this will appear as the Modify Editors table on the Editor Management screen.
To review and assign permissions:
- Click the View/Edit Permissions button next to an administrator or editor.
- Select the permissions you’d like to enable for that person. Or check the Select All Permissions box to assign all permissions, then uncheck any unnecessary permissions.
- Click Save Changes.
The administrator or editor will only see the permissions you’ve assigned to them, and can only choose from that set when assigning permissions to others (if they have the “Create Administrators” permission).