What is bepress Archive?
While bepress offers an extensive and secure infrastructure to safeguard your content, we know that many institutions are interested in the added guarantee of having a copy of their own archives. Bepress is partnering with Amazon’s Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to provide cost-effective and dependable storage of your files on a highly reliable cloud server. You have full access to all of your files at all times.
- You need to create your own account through Amazon (see below for details).
- Pricing is located here.
- Only you (and those you expressly authorize, such as bepress) have access to your files on Amazon S3.
- The service supports user authentication, including multi-factor authentication, to control access to data.
- You can use access control mechanisms to selectively grant permissions to users and groups of users.
- After a file is sent to S3, Amazon performs a data integrity check to ensure that the file residing on S3 matches the file on the bepress platform exactly.
- Amazon S3 redundantly stores your files on multiple servers across multiple facilities. The service is designed to sustain multiple server failures by quickly detecting and repairing any lost redundancy.
- Amazon S3 performs checksums on data uploaded to the service and repairs any corruption using redundant data.
- Amazon S3 is designed to provide 99.999999999% durability of files.
- The file structure / hierarchy on bepress’ server is mirrored to Amazon S3 so that you can easily navigate to a specific file.
- File metadata (in XML format) is also copied to your S3 bucket.
- You will always have access to an up-to-date archive of all of your files. This includes both Digital Commons files as well as SelectedWorks files.
The bepress Archive Process
- You will create your own Amazon Web Services (AWS) account. It’s easy to sign up, and there is no fee to create an account: http://aws.amazon.com/free/.
- Next, you will create a place in the S3 service to hold all of your files. S3 refers to the place where you store your files as a “bucket.”
- You will provide bepress with (1) access to your bucket using a code snippet we give you, (2) the name of your bucket, and (3) the name of the region your bucket is in.
- Bepress will copy all of your current files to your S3 bucket.
- Subsequently, new posts to your IR (or revisions) will trigger an action to push your content to your S3 bucket.